A candle burning in the basement of a home at 760 Lyndberg Avenue caused a fire that has temporary displaced the family of four that lives there, Peekskill Fire Chief Lenny Varella said. A woman was home at the time of the fire, smelled smoke and reported the fire around 1 p.m. The Westchester County Cause and Origin team declared it an accident.
No one was injured and all serious damage was contained in the basement. Because the electrical wires were compromised in the fire, Con Edison will need to check the wiring before the electric can be turned back on, Varella said. Smoke did some damage to the upper levels of the house as well.
The Red Cross met with the family and helped them work with thier insurance agency, which will cover their costs for temporary lodging the parents and two teenagers who are displaced, Red Cross’ volunteer spokesperson Carolyn Sherwin said.
responded and quickly knocked out the fire, Varella said. Buchanan Fire Department was also there with its cascade system and Lake Mohegan FD was on stand by.