The Peekskill school district is making “tremendous improvements” in its human resources operations, an auditor told the Board of Education last week.
Nancy L. Taylor of Catskill-based Management Advisory Group of New York (MAG) told the board Aug. 21 that the audit of the Human Resources Department sought to determine if procedures were in place and if they were being followed. The audit also examined the implementation of recommendations from an initial risk assessment and an audit of cash receipts that were conducted after MAG became the district’s internal auditor during the 2010-11 school year.
“The District has made great progress in addressing prior year recommendations and we commend the staff and Board for their diligence,” Aimee Skiff, MAG president and chief executive officer, wrote in the cover letter to “Internal Controls over Human Resources Activities.” Please click here to read the report on the controls, here to read the summary of issues and resolutions and here to read the initial risk assessment and update.
Taylor, in presenting the report to the board, said that internal controls initially had not been as effective as they could have been but that since the hiring of Mary Sculnick this spring—which she described as a “great move”—the district had made substantial improvements.
The board formally accepted the report later in the meeting.
In other actions during the meeting:
- Superintendent of Schools James Willis, reporting on contract approvals, noted that the district had been “really pushing” to have contracts for special education in place at the start of the school year before services are rendered. Timeliness of the paperwork has been an ongoing concern. Please click here and scroll down to Items E4 and L2 to read the lists of contracts under and over $10,000, respectively.
- Gregory Sullivan, assistant superintendent for business, said the district was interviewing candidates for claims auditor.
- The board approved about 75 appointments, leaves of absence, resignations and retirements. Please click here to read the list.
- The board approved pay rates for substitute teachers. Please click here and scroll down to Item K2 for details.
- The board approved an agreement with Facilities Inspection Services, not to exceed $25,000, for clerk of the works services for the district’s capital construction projects.
The board formally ratified its Aug. 2 approval of the bus contract with Mile Square Transportation for the 2012-13 school year, with an increase of 1.5 percent.
- The board approved annual payments of $154,263.08 to Real Lease Inc. to lease technology equipment for up to five years.
- The board adopted a debt service fund budget of $5.6 million for the 2012-13 school year.
- The board accepted a gift of $78,000 from Camp Inc. to purchase equipment for the fitness center at Peekskill High School.
- The board approved a $256,629 tax certiorari settlement with Woods III Condominium II.