school administrators and staff are preparing for the start of the 2012-13 school year. Several improvements are underway to ensure buildings are prepared for the first day of school on Wednesday, Sept. 5. Click through the photo gallery above for a snapshot of the facilities work taking place on campus buildings and grounds. Here's a look at some developments that will impact students, staff and the school community this year:
- Transitioning 20 new staff members (most of whom are replacements for staff on leave), including an interim high school principal and interim high school assistant principal.
- The implementation of the Dignity for All Students Act, a law legislation signed by Gov. Andrew Cuomo, which he says wil help protect students from cyberbullying as well as other forms of harassment. The law goes into effect on July 1, 2013.
- Ongoing year-round throughout the district is replacing lights with LED lights, all part of a conservation effort
- Pre and post testing for students across all levels (K through 12) – being implemented by the state for the first time this year
- New federal requirements on what's being served to students for lunch
For a full schedule of opening week activities, click here.