Newcomers Lisa Aspinall-Kellawon and Colin Smith were sworn in Tuesday, July 3, as members of the Peekskill Board of Education. Both were elected May 15 to three-year terms ending June 30, 2015.
Board President Joseph Urbanowicz was chosen by his colleagues for a second year at the helm. Michael Simpkins, his immediate predecessor, was elected vice president.
All were administered their oaths of office during the board’s annual reorganizational meeting at the Administration Center.
Aspinall-Kellawon and Smith defeated Marcela Bobe, who was seeking a second term, and the Rev. Darryl Footmon in a four-way race for two seats. Vice President Fran Feuerman did not seek re-election after seven years on the board.
District Clerk Debra McLeod administered the oaths of office to Aspinall-Kellawon, Smith, Urbanowicz and Simpkins at the start of the 3.5-hour meeting. Urbanowicz in turn administered the oath of office to McLeod.
In other action Tuesday involving its members, the board:
- Named Tuesday McDonald as voting delegate to the New York State School Boards Association convention and Urbanowicz as alternate.
- Named the following representatives to committees: Smith, Parent Teacher Organization; Simpkins, Common Council; Urbanowicz, Facilities; Lisbeth Bock, Audit, Budget Planning; Aspinall-Kellawon, Education Planning; McDonald, Board Policy, Wellness; Douglas Glickert, Code of Conduct.
- Approved board membership in the New York State and Westchester/Putnam School Boards Association.
- Authorized attendance at meetings and conventions of the two board associations, American Association of School Administrators, Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development and New York State Association of Small City School Districts.
- Adopted a calendar of its meetings for the 2012-13 school year.