.

Peekskill Firefighters Extinguish Overnight House Fire

Firefighters believe an extension cord may have caused a house fire that ignited inside a two-story home in Peekskill earlier today.

A family of four evaded injury earlier today after a fire ignited inside the second floor of their home on Main and North James streets.

Peekskill firefighters received a call for the fire at about 2:20 a.m. after a mother heard the smoke detector go off inside of her family’s four-story home. The mother, father and two children evacuated before firefighters arrived at the scene.

When firefighters arrived, they discovered a fully involved fire on a second-floor bedroom and were able to extinguish it within 20 minutes.

The room sustained fire, smoke and water damage. The kitchen area, located underneath the bedroom, also sustained some water damage, according to Peekskill fire Chief Lenny Varella.

Varella said about 35 firefighters were called to the scene. A Firefighter Assist and Search Team from Mohegan Lake was also called, but the fire was extinguished before they arrived, according to Varella.

Investigators believe that the fire may have originated from an extension cord in the bedroom and they don’t consider it suspicious.

Varella said the family was able to return back to the home and did not require assistance from Red Cross, but a electrician was needed to return power back to the home.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »