UPDATE, 9:15 a.m.
Firefighters believe and electrical glitch in a third-floor bathroom caused Thursday night’s house fire.
Peekskill firefighters responded to multi-family home 602 Homestead Avenue for the fire call at about 11:30 p.m., according Peekskill fire Chief Lenny Varella. Varella said all of the occupants inside the home were evacuated by the time firefighters arrived.
No injuries were reported at the scene.
The fire was knocked down quickly, according to Varella. The bathroom had fire, smoke and water damage. The fire damage also extended to the kitchen area, which is adjacent to the bathroom, and a small portion of the roof.
There is also some smoke and water damage to the first and second floors.
“The structure can be saved,” Varella said. “Unfortunately, the families can’t go back until the professional cleaners come in.”
Firefighters from Lake Mohegan, Buchanan, Montrose and Verplanck assisted Peekskill with Thursday's fire.
At least 15 people were displaced by a house fire that ignited at Homestead Avenue during the overnight.
Crews from the American Red Cross responded to the scene shortly before midnight. Carolyn Sherwin, a spokeswoman from the Red Cross, said five families were affected by the fire. The latest count had a total of 15 people in need of assistance.
Although initial reports had the fire taking place on Halsted Avenue, Peekskill dispatchers confirmed that the fire took place on Homestead.
Peekskill fire officials were unavailable for comment early Friday. Check back later for more details.