Fire Extinguished at Yorktown Home

Photo courtesy of Yorktown Heights Volunteer Fire Department
Photo courtesy of Yorktown Heights Volunteer Fire Department

Firefighters extinguished a Yorktown fire that started in a downstairs family room of a Gomer Street home Thursday morning. 

The fire at 3350 Gomer Street was reported shortly after 7 a.m. when the homeowner saw smoke coming from the siding of the outside wall, Assistant Fire Chief Jason Swart told Patch.

The fire started in a wall between an interior full thickness brick wall and the exterior brick chimney, Swart said. 

"The cause has been determined to be faulty/degraded motor in the chimney space which allowed fire from the fireplace to extend to the wood framing of the walls and floors," Swart said. 

Fire was contained to the one side of the structure allowing for the homeowner to remain in the house. 

No one was injured.

About 25-30 firefighters were at the scene, including Yorktown, Bedford Hills and Peekskill fire departments. Yorktown Police officers and Yorktown Volunteer Ambulance Corps members were at scene as well. 

Lake Mohegan and Millwood fire departments were relocated to Yorktown Fire Department's headquarters.  


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »