.

Fire Extinguished at Peekskill Restaurant

Peekskill firefighters responded to call for a small fire at the Mediterraneo Restaurant earlier today.

Peekskill firefighters put out a fire at the Mediterraneo Restaurant, located on 923 South St., earlier today.


Firefighters got the call at about 1 p.m. when a heater located in the ceiling at the rear of the two-story building caused a small fire.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire before it reached the second floor. No one was injured and the fire was ruled accidental.

"The fire was just about making its way to the top," said Peekskill Asst. Chief Vincent Malaspina. "There was a little bit of charring and little bit of fire at the top we also had to put out, but the career guys and the volunteers work real well together and we put this thing out quickly."

The restaurant sustained water and smoke damage and there was some charring the to ceiling and second floor.

Gas and electricity inside the building has been turned off and the building will be closed pending and inspection by an electrician and Con Ed.

The Peekskill Volunteer Ambulance Corps. along with firefighters from Mohegan, Croton, Continental Village and Montrose assisted at the scene.

Rose Harrison November 21, 2012 at 09:23 PM
that's 923 south street
Peter Goodson November 21, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Now if they could only put the fire out inside City Hall. I can hear the song from Talking Heads playing "Burning Down the House" as Peekskill falls.
Frank a Catalina November 22, 2012 at 02:43 PM
Hang in there Peter, I have a feeling help is on the way. Everywhere I go and everyone I speak to is, quite literally, disgusted. I believe the pressure of the community as evidenced over the past month or so will change some of the short term problems and I hope the seeds of discontent sown by this administration yields real change next year. Have a great holiday season!
Peter von Bergen November 22, 2012 at 04:48 PM
Kudos to the Peekskill FD and the Incident Commander for quickly dousing what could have been catastrophic. The timing was lucky, so the fire didn't spread on the first floor or get to the second floor, from which it could have spread up and down the block - had it occurred late at night with no one around to spot it. Also congrats to fire officials for pre-planning mutual aid responses to structure fires. The men and equipment from other departments were on the way, or there, if needed, had the worst-case scenario taken hold.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »