.

Fire Destroys Mohegan Lake Home, Leaves Family Homeless

The home on Regina Avenue in Mohegan Lake was destroyed by fire on Jan. 11. Photo credit: Patch
The home on Regina Avenue in Mohegan Lake was destroyed by fire on Jan. 11. Photo credit: Patch
Dozens of firefighters battled a house fire at 4 Regina Avenue in Mohegan Lake that left a family homeless during a snow storm Tuesday night.

Firefighters initially thought there was a woman trapped inside the home, but they later learned that the only resident present at the time escaped the home unharmed. Deputy Fire Chief Joe Mayer told News12 that when firefighters got to the scene, the house was fully engulfed. 

Firefighters responded to the scene at 6:20 p.m. Tuesday. 

"The fire was brought under control in approximately one hour and the cause was determined to be accidental caused by an electric space heater," Lake Mohegan Assistant Fire Chief Christopher Beyrer told Patch.

The extreme cold, snow and high winds made working conditions difficult, Beyrer said.  

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »