Just as your skin ages, your hair ages too. Here are ways to keep your hair looking and feeling youthful.
I have so many women that come to me and ask how to keep their hair looking youthful and shiny. The big question is, should I go grey or keep coloring my hair? The answer to that is it's totally up to you. If you choose to go with your natural grey, there are certain products and tips to keep it looking its best.
Another option is to add some cool toned lowlights to your hair to give a more salt and pepper look. If you want to keep coloring your hair because going grey is not an option for you, then there are some tips to keep your hair looking natural and shiny as well.
Follow these tips to keep your natural grey looking fabulous:
- Use the right shampoo. Grey hair can take on a yellowish hue, so use a silver-specific shampoo once or twice a week. I recommend Clairol Professional Shimmer Lights Shampoo. It has a violet toner that will get rid of that yellow tone.
- Use lightweight styling products. Pomades, waxes and heavy oily serums will leave a thick coating on the hair which will make it appear dull. To add some shine, try a light shine spray.
- Wear makeup. Grey can wash you out a little bit so make sure you use concealer under your eyes, a peachy/pink blush (I recommend NARS in Orgasm) to give your skin some color and mascara. Always wear mascara.
- Stay away from clothing in earthy colors such as brown, orange or beige. Grey hair is considered a cool color so earthy colors will really wash you out. Try to wear jewel tones or cool tones (blue, ruby, purple, ect.)
If growing out your grey is making you totally crazy then talk to your stylist about lowlights. It will disguise some of the grey, helping you have a more youthful look, but you won’t be locked in to getting your hair colored every 4 weeks. In my salon we use Scruples hypnotic lowlighting system that comes in beautiful cool tones which will complement the cool undertone of grey hair.
Now if grey hair is a huge “no-no” in your book, single process color is not a bad way to go. Colored hair needs special attention to keep it looking natural and youthful.
- Make sure to use a color safe shampoo, I recommend Nexus Chroma life shampoo and conditioner. It smells fantastic and is sulfate free which helps your color to stay vibrant and shiny. Regular shampoo has ingredients that are too harsh for colored hair and it will fade faster leaving it looking dingy and washed up.
- Always use a leave in conditioner, cocktailing with a repairing oil based serum I recommend Blow Tress relief leave in conditioner and Blow Weather Girl oil serum.
- At your next hair cut appointment ask your stylist for soft angles that frame your face. Anything spikey or blunt will bring attention to wrinkles. When blow drying your hair, make sure to use a dryer with a nozzle on it, because it will concentrate the airflow which reduces frizz.
- Protect your hair from the sun. Wear a hat or use a product with sun protection in it. The sun will fade your color very quickly and could change a beautiful brunette to a washed out coppery color.
I hope these tips help everyone. Don’t be afraid to talk to your stylist about anything pertaining to your hair. That’s what we are there for. A good stylist will tell you what will look best on you, take your personality, opinions and your comfort ability into consideration. The two of you can come up with a beautiful solution, with you leaving the salon looking and feeling your very best.