.

Families Recovering from Peekskill House Fire

The American Red Cross of Greater New York assisted 17 people with emergency housing after a fire destroyed their home on 602 Homestead Avenue in Peekskill Thursday.

Five families displaced by Thursday night’s fire on Homestead Avenue were able to recover their belongings and have been placed in emergency housing by the American Red Cross of Greater of New York.

Carolyn Sherwin said nine adults and seven children were displaced by a fire that ignited inside a three-story, multi-family home  at about 11:30 p.m. Thursday. Peekskill Firefighters said the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction inside a third-floor bathroom.

The fire was knocked down quickly, according to firefighters. The bathroom had fire, smoke and water damage. The fire damage also extended to the kitchen area, which is adjacent to the bathroom, and a small portion of the roof.

“The fire was contained, but there was  water damage,” Sherwin said. “The families will be able to return, but it will depend on how quickly repairs are made.”

The family has been given short-term emergency housing until the end of today, and will be given a referral for long-term housing if it is needed.

Anyone interested in donating to Red Cross can do so by going here.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something