Five families displaced by Thursday night’s fire on Homestead Avenue were able to recover their belongings and have been placed in emergency housing by the American Red Cross of Greater of New York.
Carolyn Sherwin said nine adults and seven children were displaced by a fire that ignited inside a three-story, multi-family home at about 11:30 p.m. Thursday. Peekskill Firefighters said the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction inside a third-floor bathroom.
The fire was knocked down quickly, according to firefighters. The bathroom had fire, smoke and water damage. The fire damage also extended to the kitchen area, which is adjacent to the bathroom, and a small portion of the roof.
“The fire was contained, but there was water damage,” Sherwin said. “The families will be able to return, but it will depend on how quickly repairs are made.”
The family has been given short-term emergency housing until the end of today, and will be given a referral for long-term housing if it is needed.
Anyone interested in donating to Red Cross can do so by going here.