1. How Verplanck Got Its Name
Thanks to the Verplanck Residents Association for posting on Facebook a very interesting link to a New York Times article from Aug. 24, 1683 that describes how Stevanus Van Cortlandt, the first American-born Mayor of New York City, purchased Verplanck Point from the Native Americans. Read the article here.
2. Weekend Planner
There are several big events in Peekskill and the area this weekend. Check it out .
3. Rockin’ Red Carpet Night
The Paramount Center for the Arts is holding a fundraising gala with the band Foreigner on Saturday, Sept. 15. PCA will pay tribute to its board of trustees honoree Entergy and its founder’s Award recipient Joan Johansen. There will be a pre-concert dinner and post-concert festivities at 12 Grapes. Visit paramountcenter.org for tickets and more information.
4. Labor Day Weekend
Monday is Labor Day, a day when American workers who belong to unions recognize their movement’s history and what it has accomplished.
The first Labor Day took place in September 1882, observed by the Central Labor Union in New York.
In 1894, the day became a federally recognized holiday after workers were killed by the U.S. military and U.S. Marshals during the Pullman Strike in Illinois, where 125,000 railroad workers went on strike against the railroad. The federal government got involved, bringing in 12,000 troops, because the work stoppage interrupted mail service. During the eruption, 13 workers were killed and dozens more injured.
Since it has been declared a federal holiday, Americans have recognized the holiday at the start of September each year. Labor Day “constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country,” according to the United States Department of Labor.
5. Three Day Weekend Weather
The National Weather Service’s forecast for the weekend:
- Friday: Sunny, with a high near 92. West wind 6 to 13 mph.
- Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 64. Southwest wind 8 to 10 mph.
- Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 81. North wind around 6 mph.
- Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 61.
- Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 81.
- Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 63.
- Labor Day: Cloudy, with a high near 79.
- Monday Night: A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 64. Chance of precipitation is 40%.