What our community needs to know about prescription drugs andheroin will be the main topic in a forum hosted jointly by the Town of Cortlandt and Lakeland Central School District on Wednesday, April 9 at Walter Panas High School, 300 Croton Avenue, Cortlandt, from 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm. Parents and their children are invited to attend.
The evening will feature a panel of experts who will provide valuable information on these critical issues including:
- The information they need for prevention strategies
- Treatment and overdose prevention options
- Information on how prescription drug abuse can lead to misuse, heroin use, and addiction.
- An update on current enforcement and legal activities to reduce heroin and illegal prescription drug sales
Panelists will include:
- Colleen Anderson, MS Ed., CPP, Cortlandt Coalition Coordinator, Town of Cortlandt;
- Investigator Joseph Becerra, New York State Police, Bureau of Crime Investigations, Troop K, Zone 3;
- Ryan B., Public Information Chairman, Westchester, Anonymous Programs;
- Danielle Gamar, LCSW, Student Assistance Counselor, Walter Panas HS;
- Robert Kelly, Executive Director, Westchester Intelligence, Center, Westchester County District Attorney's Office;
- Marjut Marinello, parent representative;
- Detective Will Mauro, Westchester County Police, Narcotics Unit;
- Rachel Schoolcraft, MD, Psychiatrist, Addiction Treatment Services, Phelps Memorial Hospital Center.
Ellen Morehouse, Executive Director of the Student Assistant Services Corporation, will be the moderator. A similar panel discussion was held in the Hendrick Hudson School District a few weeks ago.
For more information contact: Ellen Morehouse, (914) 332-1300; Cortlandt Coalition Coordinator Colleen Anderson, (914) 734-1050, Lakeland Director of Communications Jim Van Develde, (914) 245-1700.